Sunday, June 04, 2006

Outlook replaced... at last!

I've been wanting to do this for the longest time... ever since it started becoming a real pain in the @$$ to have to wait 2-3 seconds everytime I wanted to read a new incoming email, or a new newsgroup posting.

I am assuming it has to do with how Outlook organizes its .pst file - all the entries in your Inbox and local folders are kept inside the one .pst file, in my case resulting in a behemoth of a .pst measuring almost 1.3GB in disk space.

I finally had enough and moved all my stuff over to Mozilla Thunderbird. I am a HAPPY CAMPER now! No longer do I have to wait, no longer do I need extra plugins for RSS feeds and NNTP news reading and most of all, the CPU usage is now negligible!

Oh- and for those Outlook die-hards who can't have it any other way: There's a neat Theme (skin) for Thunderbird called Outlook 2003 SilverTB that makes it look JUST like my Outlook looked before!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lefteri, an old friend yianni.alvertos@oracle.com

FreeCyprus said...

hey you need a new post ;)

Lefteris said...

Yianni-

I tried your email - bounced. Send me one yourself when you can... (same old address)

LK

Anonymous said...

oh, now you have seen the light :)