Tuesday, November 08, 2005

And so it began...

It's been a very interesting couple of months.

Our current flagship product, the 747-400 Queen of the Skies, has been receiving great reviews by almost every flight sim site out there. We're actively working on the Service Update at the moment, so I get to spend quite a lot of time reading our forum users' comments on what they perceive as "bugs", trying to actually figure out where those critters might have slipped into the code. A lot of times, what a user might report as broken turns out to be proper functionality of the 747. How do you tell them, without making them feel stupid or ignorant? Usually, a direct approach I find works best!

I am also working on some very interesting stuff: Interfacing the Engravity CDU with our 747 and 737 FMC code. This is a nice side project which, even though it has already taken up more time than I originally envisioned, I hope will prove helpful for those hardware cockpit builders and/or hard-core enthusiasts out there who want to go a step further with their simming. I'll be posting more details about that, along with some nice pictures, later on...

Hey- having loyal customers is really nice sometimes: Here's a beautiful video that one of our friends (goes by the nickname "The Arkitekt") made about the 747-400 - he's a post-production video editor, by profession, and his work shines. Give it a looksie - it's really great!

Also- make sure you take a look at some friends' blogs, over at Microsoft FS team HQ - I posted them on the right hand side column, for your viewing pleasure. These guys ROCK!

2 comments:

susanash said...

"A lot of times, what a user might report as broken turns out to be proper functionality of the 747. How do you tell them, without making them feel stupid or ignorant? Usually, a direct approach I find works best!"

A problem in the core product as well, of course! I would love to come up with (or hear from others) some creative solutions to the user experience problem of "too real". :)

Lefteris said...

Hi Susan, thanks for stopping by!

This issue stems from the majority of people out there simply learning things wrong the first time around. That's mostly our fault, though, for not doing a good-enough job teaching them through tutorials, step-by-steps, and/or by making our product behave wrongly to begin with (I know I've coded many a wrong functionality in the past, and people frown when I correct it in the future, based on comments from RL pilots - they argue that "it worked more correctly before" :-)).

The more accuracy we put in the core product, the less we'll be observing these issues, is my take on it :-).